Saturday, November 9, 2013

Life is Good

Last evening, I had the opportunity to attend the first alumni dinner for the public relations alumni of Ohio Northern. Obvious by my attendance, current students were also invited to join in the celebration. I am always so proud to say I belong to our public relations program, and I had the chance to meet many more alumni that felt the same way. Ironically, I sat next to Kelsey Giesler, my PRSSA mentor from last year, and we had a chance to FINALLY get to know each other. Let's just say the pairing was perfect, and had either of us been on top of our email game, last year's mentoring would have been a blast. Both of us are trying to persuade Dr. Agozzino to pair us together so we can take another shot at the relationship!

After dinner, Dr. Agozzino and Dr. Fleck read short biographies submitted by the alumni detailing their work after they graduated. As if I wasn't proud to be a polar bear, their amazing accomplishments solidified my love of our program. Next, Dr. Steve Iseman gave the keynote speech. As always, he was witty and educational at the same time. He definitely has a talent for that perfect combination.

This morning, while working in the costume shop, Dr. Agozzino brought prospective students to ask me about my double major. A very dangerous task to leave on my shoulders. I have such a love for both of my majors, I could spend weeks talking about why students should join the program. The poor students were probably just waiting for me to shut up. Even if they were, they were very polite, and I led the group through the back hallways of the Freed Center.

I know I have made multiple posts on my blog about being extremely overwhelmed. Well, that fact still remains, but I don't think I've stressed the fact that I love what I'm doing enough. I wouldn't do all the work I am without the overwhelming feeling of joy it brings me in the end. I love the opportunity I have to have hands-on experience with a pr campaign before I leave college. I love going to PRSSA meetings and events. I love being involved in University Singers. I love the opportunity to create costumes for shows, and the fact that I'm now on payroll doesn't hurt. I love going to my voice lessons every Friday and having the chance to work with Summer. I love learning more about theatre and developing skills to make me a better performer. Yes, the work can be rigorous. Sometimes, I don't feel like I'll be able to crawl out of the hole filled with work, but life is good. I'm surrounded by people who care about me and lead me towards success, and I love both of my majors.

2 comments:

  1. It was so cool to hear all the cool things ONU alumni have done after graduation. As a junior, graduation seems to be all I am thinking about. Being around all those people and hearing them talk, It really gave me some hope that I will be like all of them one day. I love ONU and I love my major. I can't wait to graduate and make them proud!

    ReplyDelete