Sunday, November 17, 2013

Taking Charge of Your Life

As some of you may remember, I previously posted about my cousins both having cancer due to a cell mutation called Lynch Syndrome. My cousin Christina had surgery to remove her tumor and is now in the process of recovering. Her older sister, Stephanie, started chemotherapy.

This Saturday, Stephanie held a party at her house to shave off her hair. In this coming week, her fourteenth day of chemo. After the fourteenth day, hair starts to fall out in clumps. As opposed to letting this happen, Stephanie got proactive. She lost her hair on her own terms. With her mom, husband, baby boy and close friends, she shaved her head. Stephanie already purchased a wig that looks so close to her natural hair, others would never be able to tell the difference. Below are the before and after pictures of the hair shaving party!

I continue to be inspired by my family, especially Stephanie. Instead of letting cancer get the upper hand, she took charge and lost her hair on her own terms. When I asked her if I could use these photos for my blog, she told me, "My bravery is sustained by the strength and love of my family and friends." Honestly, any bravery I have stems from knowing I have amazing family like Stephanie in my life. She's stayed so positive through this whole experience, and I've never had a doubt in my mind she's going to beat this. I know whenever I feel as if something's impossible, I'll remember her approach to a scary situation. You can't always control what happens in life, but you can control your response.


5 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I have a young cousin that struggles with a unique disease. It is incredible how strong the people in the toughest situations can be. He was born with Eosinaphilic Esophagitis (basically, he cannot eat food). Still, he is one of the happiest 9-year-olds I have ever met. I'm sending prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O my goodness Amy - are you referring to Brandon - I am Alexa's mom and he is my student ! I was think of him as I read your post then I looked at your last name and thought - wow small world I think she must be talking about the same person I know! Alexa knows the Hood also from stage crafters....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexa - this was well done - glad you were able to share Stephanie's story to inspire others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so amazing Alexa. Christina is an inspiration to others that she doesn't even know. I am inspired by her strength and I love that she took business into her own hands and shaved her head instead of letting the cancer do it. I have had family member that have different cancers and I know how difficult it can be. She will be in my prayers and I'm sending love your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words cannot express how inspiring this story is. As a woman of long blonde hair, I couldn't even imagine shaving all of my locks off. Stephanie inspires me to think of the good in everything. Even when one of the hardest points in Stephanie's life tried to take her down, she managed to take a stand and make the best of the situation.

    ReplyDelete