Saturday, October 12, 2013

Team Not Today! An Inside View of the Undy 5000

Today, I was fortunate to participate in the Undy 5000 on my cousin Christina's team. Along with the Colon Cancer Alliance, the Undy 5000 strives to raise awareness and funds for colon cancer research and prevention. The Undy 5000 is a 5K, or a one mile run or walk if you so choose, in underwear to raise awareness. Instead of a T-shirt, they handed out pairs of boxers with registration. The Colon Cancer Alliance hopes to wipe colon cancer out of the top three cancer killers. Currently, colon cancer is the second cause of cancer-related deaths. Mainly, colon cancer affects those 50 years or older, but some rare cases do occur, such as my cousin.

Christina Lewis is 34 years old and has Stage 3 colon cancer. Recently, she has also tested positive for Lynch Syndrome. Lynch Syndrome is a genetic mutation in the cells that increase chances of having colon cancer to 85 percent and uterian cancer by 65 percent. After developing cancer for the first time, chances of a reoccurrence increase. Because I cannot put into words her experiences, I will attach this video. After learning of Christina and her condition, those at the Undy 5000 asked her to speak and share her story.
Her favorite saying through this whole experience has been "Not Today!" Because this has been such a major part in her attitude, our team for the Undy 5000 was called Not Today. She is such a positive person, and I believe her when she says she's going to be just fine. However, if any of you fellow people reading this are religious, I ask you to keep her in your prayers. If any reading this are not religious, please just keep her in your thoughts. With help from organizations like the Colon Cancer Alliance, we can all help to kick cancer in the butt!
"There is only one thing we say to death: Not today."

1 comment:

  1. Alexa,
    This was a really touching post! I think it is awesome that you and your family participated in this race to support your cousin Christina. I have never known anyone who has had colon cancer, nor have I ever heard of the Undy 5000, but this sounds like an awesome event for a great cause. I love that they hand out boxers instead of t-shirts! I admire your cousin for her positive attitude in the face of such negative circumstances. She is clearly a very strong and optimistic woman who has inspired many. Your cousin and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete