Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Craziest Weekend Imaginable

As I write this, I am sitting in the Loews hotel waiting for the pilot episode of JJ Abrahm's "Almost Human" to start. For those of you who don't know, I am currently in Philadelphia for the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) National Conference. I just finished a session with two publicists from Warner Brothers and a writer for TV guide. I cannot even describe to you fellow bloggers how lucky I am.

Part of my luck I've been continually reminded of this weekend has stemmed from the education I'm getting at Ohio Northern. Our public relations program is difficult, yes. Stressful? Oh, yes. Bounds ahead other schools? I can't even describe. Dr. Iseman is an incredible educator and set up our program for our students to succeed. Many things I had taken for granted don't exist at other schools. We are so lucky for all the programs and opportunities for experience offered to us. Keeping tradition alive, Ohio Northern University's chapter of PRSSA won the Star Chapter award. In addition, Katie Hozan, Jake Schwerer and Lauren Tennet each won the National Gold Key award, an award given to graduated seniors who showed public relations and leadership excellence.

I'm also so lucky to be surrounded by incredible students and faculty at ONU. Dr. Agozzino and Dr. Fleck do so much to guide us and make sure they're doing all they can to prepare us. Many advisors don't know their student's faces, let alone anything personal about them. Also, our student network is so unbelievably supportive of one another. I know I can go to anyone in the pr department if I need to talk to someone. They are always there to lift me up if I need it.

To start the weekend off with an amazing start, I had the pleasure of seeing "Zombie Prom" Thursday evening. For those of you that missed it, you truly missed an amazing experience. I am so incredibly impressed and proud of the 10 member cast of ONU students. It was incredibly choreographed, directed, costumed, acted and sang. And any other verb a musical should be. For those of you that did miss it, small clips and pictures can be found on the Freed Center Facebook page.

Once again, this weekend has reminded me how lucky I am to be attending ONU. I continually applaud my senior-self for making the decision to come to this campus. My professors, friends, education and opportunities have been extremely amazing, and I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to read that you're having a great time at PRSSA National Conference! I wish I could have went, but I have no doubts that you ladies are representing our chapter wonderfully. We obviously know that Ohio Northern has a fabulous public relations program, but I cannot wait to hear about the things you have learned from other chapters and sessions on how we can continue to improve. What has been your favorite part of national conference so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I know this is a late response to your question, but better late than never! My favorite part in general about national conference was having the opportunity to spend time with Lauren, Kelsi and Anna. We all got along so well, but I never would have put the four of us in a group normally. Plus, I didn't know any of them on a personal level before going on the trip, so it was a really cool experience to connect with all of them.

      My favorite session, hands-down, was the Warner Brothers presentation. They connected so well with the audience before, during and after the presentation. There were two publicists from Warner Brothers television and a writer from TVGuide Magazine. After their presentation (answering questions people asked via Twitter the day before I might add), they had free cupcakes outside for us to eat. As if that wasn't awesome enough, they showed us a special preview of "Almost Human" which isn't airing until November 17. They asked us to fill out surveys and gave us the chance to write in an idea for a promotion for the show. If your idea was used, they would send you a Warner Brothers gift basket. They also set up a Facebook group for us to join so they could keep in touch with us. The main publicist followed me back on Twitter.

      If you couldn't tell, I was geeking out about the whole thing. I already wanted to be in entertainment pr, but this ultimately sealed the deal for me. Also, I would love the opportunity to work for Warner Brothers. They just seem like really awesome people that truly care about their work.

      Again, sorry for the late response, but now you have a long response to satisfy the void in time!!!

      Delete
  2. I am so jealous that you got to go to Philly this weekend! I wanted to go but when Aggie said it was $350 I just thought, "Never mind. I can wait." Anyway, I agree, our school offers us so many things that students at other schools wish they had. Even with me getting to work on WONB and deejay campus events and events in Lima. Our school is pretty clutch.

    And I got to see Zombie Prom and it was pretty funny. It was also really weird which made me like it more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I wish I could have gone so bad. I love that we all get the opportunity to learn from such amazing professors that want to see us all succeed. I truly believe the way our program is set up is the best for all of us. It is definitely so much work, but I love every minute of it. That is how I know I am in the right major. Enjoy the rest of conference!

    ReplyDelete